Dr. Tomáš Horváth is the head of the newly established Data Science and Engineering Department at the Eötvös Loránd University in Budapest, Hungary, since September 2016. Here received his MSc and PhD degrees at the Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice, Slovak Republic, in 2002 and 2008, respectively. He was on a post-doc internship at the Information Systems and Machine Learning lab of the University in Hildesheim, Germany, from 2009 to 2012. From 2015 to 2016 he received a post-doc grant at the Department of Computer Science, University of São Paulo in São Carlos, Brazil. He was a co-ordinator or work package manager of several projects, among others the Center of of knowledge and information systems in Košice, supported by the structural funds of EU. He is an author/co-author of more than 50 conference papers or journal articles, serves as program and steering committee member of two Czech-Slovak conferences and as a reviewer/external reviewer of several international conferences and journals. His research interests include relational learning, rule-based and monotone classification techniques, pattern mining, recommender systems and personalization. Recently, he is focusing his work on meta-learning techniques and automated machine learning approaches.
Research interests: meta-learning, recommendation techniques, bio-inspired computing, machine learning.
- Tsegaye Misikir Tashu, Tomáš Horváth: Semantic-Based Feedback Recommendation for Automatic Essay Evaluation in: (IntelliSys) 2019 (in print) (link to the manuscript)
- Rafael Gomes Mantovani, Tomáš Horváth, Ricardo Cerri, Sylvio Barbon Junior, Joaquin Vanschoren, André Carlos Ponce de Leon Ferreira de Carvalho: An empirical study on hyperparameter tuning of decision trees; arXiv:1812.02207v1 [cs.LG] (link to the arcticle)
- Andrea Galloni, Balázs Horváth, Tomáš Horváth: Real-time Monitoring of Hungarian Highway Traffic from Cell Phone Network Data In: Stanislav Krajci (Ed.): ITAT 2018: Information Technologies – Applications and Theory, pp 218-222. in: CEUR Workshop Proceedings Vol-2203. This proceedings also appeared as a book with CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2018, ISBN 978-1727267198. (download manuscript) (link to proceedings)
- João Mendes Moreira, André de Carvalho, Tomáš Horváth: A General Introduction to Data Analytics. Wiley, 2018. ISBN: 978-1-119-29626-3. (site of the book)
- Tsegaye Misikir Tashu, Tomáš Horváth: Pair-Wise: Automatic Essay Evaluation using Word Mover’s Distance in: Bruce M. McLaren, James Uhomoibhi, Rob Reilly, Susan Zvacek (Eds.): Proceedings of CSEDU 2018; SCITEPRESS, 2018. ISBN: 978-989-758-291-2
BEST STUDENT PAPER AWARD! (download manuscript)
- Balázs Horváth, Tomáš Horváth: Evaluating Data Sources for Crawling Events from the Web In: Jaroslava Hlavácová (Ed.): ITAT 2017: Information Technologies – Applications and Theory, pp 218-222. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2017. ISBN 978-1974274741 (download manuscript) (link to proceedings)
- Tomáš Horváth, Rafael G Mantovani, André C P L F de Carvalho: Effects of Random Sampling on SVM Hyper-parameter Tuning In: Ana Maria Madureira, Ajith Abraham, Dorabela Gamboa, Paulo Novais (ed): Intelligent Systems Design and Applications (Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing 557.) Springer International Publishing, 2017, ISBN:978-3-319-53479-4 (proceedings) (manuscript)